Carnegie is looking to hire an experienced Controller who will manage both high-level accounting as well as a daily tactical accounting workload, managerial accounting, and the detailed financial activities of the company. As head of the Accounting department, the Controller will manage, supervise, and directly engage in all aspects of accounting from monthly closings to revenue recognition to tax compliance. This detail-oriented and hands-on expert will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will assist with the development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and execute all aspects of accounting, billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and operations
- Keep an organized filing system of all accounts, statements, transactions, payments, and debts
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions and loans
- Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
- Enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Oversee payments of all accounts, ensuring all accounts are paid on time
- Monitor cash and funding balances
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports
- Advise on financial analyses and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, significant costs, benchmarks, and other matters with management and Chief Financial Officer
- Organize information and statements for audits and external auditors
- Define benchmarks and implement operational best practices
- Comply with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting
- Ensure company complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements
- Take on additional duties as needed
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting, or a related field
- Ideal candidate has five to 10 years of experience in field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) license preferred
- Previous experience as an accountant, accounting supervisor, or manager
- Excellent computer skills; experience in accounting software, preferably Sage 50/Peachtree, and Microsoft Office Suite with a high level expertise in Excel
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements or recommendations
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work well with senior executives and team as well as mentor/lead other team members
For more than 30 years, Carnegie has been a leader in higher education marketing and recruitment solutions. With access to more college-bound students than any other company, we help colleges and universities meet their enrollment goals. Our cutting-edge digital marketing capabilities deliver customized solutions for our clients.
Our team is energetic, enthusiastic, and passionate about our clients’ goals. We are looking for innovators who can contribute great ideas to our organization. Carnegie embraces and affirms diversity of every kind. We believe passionately in the power of human connection, knowing that we are strongest when we bring a breadth of perspectives and experiences to our work. We celebrate differences within our team and actively promote inclusion in our workplace.
No phone calls or unscheduled visits to the office, please. Carnegie is an equal opportunity employer.